Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Menu Plan Monday - on Tuesday

Okay, okay....so I'm late. Pretty typical of me. The advantage to being late is being able to peruse over 200 menu postings on the Menu Plan Monday site!

Last week's Tater Tot Casserole was a big hit, but I think the next time I make it I will tweak it a little. Here are this week's menus:

Monday - Last night ended up being soup, sandwich, and leftover Super Bowl Party food.

Tuesday - Dinner courtesy of Grandma and Grandpa (faculty meeting night). Meatloaf and mashed potatos.

Wednesday - Sweet potato and black bean burritos (see recipe below). Yes, I know this is a risky choice, but I want us to try new things AND I do not want to get stuck in the fish sticks and mac&cheese routine for Lent. Any ideas of what to serve with these?

(This is one of those recipes that people either LOVE! or HATE! and there is nothing in between. )

Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burritos (I'm sorry I don't remember where I got this one - I was clicking around so much!)
3 medium sweet potatoes
salt & pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped (frozen also works fine)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 15-oz. cans black beans
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (adjust for your heat preference)
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
8 large tortillas
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350° F. (Skip this step if you are making these to freeze!)
Microwave sweet potatoes on a plate so they are cooked all the way through (pierce with a fork, cook for 12-15 minutes on high). Let cool until they can be handled easily. Remove and discard skins. Mash potatoes and season with salt & pepper. Set aside.
Heat oil in a large pan and saute onions until soft and golden, adding garlic for the last few minutes of cooking. Stir in black beans (including all of their liquid). Add soy sauce and seasonings to taste. Simmer uncovered until liquid is reduced and beans aren’t runny, about 15 minutes.
Layer sweet potato, beans, and shredded cheddar in tortillas and roll up as burritos. At this point, you can either individual wrap the burritos in foil, and freeze. Or, place rolled burritos in a casserole dish or on a baking pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, until browned.
Serve with salsa and sour cream.
To cook frozen burritos, I use Martha’s sage advice: Remove frozen burrito from foil. Place on a microwave-safe plate and cook on high for 3 minutes. On a baking sheet, bake in a 450° F oven for 15 minutes.

Thursday - Pioneer Woman Chicken Spaghetti, Broccoli and cheese, bread. (From Pioneer Woman Cooks!)

Pioneer Woman Chicken Spaghetti
2 cups cooked chicken
2 cans Cream of Mushroom soup
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup finely diced green pepper
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1-4 oz jar diced pimentos, drained
3 cups dry spaghetti, broken into two inch pieces
2 cups reserved chicken broth from pot
1 teaspoon Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 additional cup grated sharp cheddar cheese

Cook 1 cut up fryer and pick out the meat to make two cups. Cook spaghetti in same chicken broth until al dente. Do not overcook. When spaghetti is cooked, combine with remaining ingredients except additional 1 cup sharp cheddar. Place mixture in casserole pan and top with remaining sharp cheddar. Cover and freeze up to six months, cover and refrigerate up to two days, or bake immediately: 350 degrees for 45 minutes until bubbly. (If the cheese on top starts to get too cooked, cover with foil.)

Friday - Eat out fish sandwiches, etc.

Saturday and Sunday - The boys will be in Indy with their dad, so I will eat what I want. Hopefully, Steven will be here for some of the time, so we can eat out a bit! (smile)

Here are three recipes I want to try next week:


Pretzel Chicken Tenders (from Chick in the Kitchen)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 c. pretzels, crushed fine
1/2 c. wheat germ
1 egg,, beaten
Preheat toaster oven to 350° F. Lightly coat pan with non-stick spray, set aside.
Add crushed pretzels and wheat germ to a large Ziploc bag, shake to combine.
Trim chicken breasts into 1-inch wide strips. Pat dry with a paper towel. Add chicken to the Ziploc bag and shake for first coating (all the finest pretzel dust will stick to the chicken).
Remove chicken from the bag. Dip each piece individually in the egg wash and then again into the pretzel mixture. On this second pass, the chicken will pick up the larger pieces of pretzel and wheat germ for the top coat.
Place coated chicken on the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.

I got this one from Sarah's Musings:
Sesame Chicken


Tortelini tomato Spinach Soup (also from Chick in the Kitchen)

That's all for my delayed "menu plan Monday".
Stay dry everyone!
J.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You will love the black bean & sweet potato burritos. I made a similar recipe last week and even my "bean-hater" asked for seconds.

Jay said...

Good old meatloaf and mashed potatoes. The ultimate comfort food.

Chicken spaghetti? Hmm ... that might be pretty yummy too.

e.Craig Crawford said...

Sounds like you are keeping it interesting, J. For some reason I tend to resist trying new recipes. But, I'll soon run out of the old "tried & true" meals, and will have to brave the "unknown."

Just Dave said...

My daughter makes chicken spaghetti in a cream sauce that is outstanding. If you really want to tweak your tater tot casserole, add some habanero pepper, right E. Craig?

Sarah said...

Looks like a great week of menus! The black bean and sweet potato burritos sound tasty - maybe you could have guacamole and tortilla chips with them? It'd be fast, easy and meat free!

I've also heard good things about the pretzel chicken - yum!

I hope you have a prayerful Lenten season!

Best,
Sarah

Jodi said...

Summer - Thanks for stopping by. I can't wait to try it!

Jay - My mom makes the BEST meatloaf. I usually have to hide a piece so I can have a sandwich later. I can't wait to try the chicken spaghetti.

Craig - I'm just trying to cook more AND keep the kids eating healthy.

Just Dave - My acid reflux would never tolerate habanero sauce! Yikes! I meant, change the meat and use different veggies.

Sarah - Thanks for coming by! I have bookmarked your page.

J.

e.Craig Crawford said...

It has to be more fun than a body deserves to come home after a day at the "grind" and cook dinner for your family. But the strong healthy bodies you help build now will pay dividends in the years to come. And that includes you. Way to go!