Tuesday, January 04, 2011

A Look Back.........

1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?

I taught Jr.High Math in summer school.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

No. My resolutions last year were to not miss church on Sundays at all, and to lose weight. I didn't accomplish either. And yes, I am thinking about some new ones for this year.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Not really. Several women at work have had babies lately, and I've enjoyed that.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

No, unless you count the dog.

5. What countries did you visit?

I have never been out of the country, but I hope to change that in 2011.

6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?

More money. More self-confidence. More self-discipline.

7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

Feb.14 my youngest child moved into double digits. March 24 my oldest child left his teens and moved into his 20s. August 17 my beautiful daughter moved away to college. December 21 Steven proposed.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Teaching summer school.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Not doing a damn thing to start exercising or lose weight.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Not really.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

My sister's husband very used Honda Accord for only $1000!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

Joseph held his first professional job and supported himself all summer. Rachael graduated from high school and made a very successful transition to college life. Daniel held his first real job and lettered in 3 sports, as well as setting 2 school records. Aaron finished a tough year better than he started it and made a very positive transition to a new school. My brother married an outstanding person. Steven made an outstanding effort to be a good father, both to his daughter and to my youngest son.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

Several people I work with are really just power-hungry, small-minded gossips and bullies. The mother of one boy I became very attached to in summer school is one of the most pathetic excuses for a parent I've ever witnessed. A family member (who I won't name just in case) is not someone I like at all, and it depresses me that we're related.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Tuition, kids' stuff, kids. As usual.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

The possibility of new career avenues springing from my summer school adventures, and getting engaged.

16. What song will always remind you of 2010?

Anything by Straight No Chaser.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder? Happier.
b) thinner or fatter? Sadly, I think I'm fatter.
c) richer or poorer? Should be richer.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Exercise.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Facebook.

20. How did you spend Christmas?

At home, with all 4 kids, my parents, and my siblings.

21. Did you fall in love in 2010?

Yes, with the same man I've been in love with for the last 3 years.

22. What was your favorite TV program?

Criminal minds and Modern Family.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

Yes. Someone I work with.

24. What was the best book you read?

The Stand by Stephen King.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Straight No Chaser.

26. What did you want and get?

Engaged.

27. What did you want and not get?

A new iPhone.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?

Inception.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I went out to dinner with Steven. I was (gulp) 46.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Being more consistent with a budget and money.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?

Relaxed.

32. What kept you sane?

I'm sane?

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

The young guy on Criminal Minds.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?

Stupid "No Child Left Behind", test score-based pay for teachers, and any stupid politician who has never taught one day in a regular classroom who thinks he knows ALL about education.

35. Who did you miss?

I missed having a good female friend at school. I missed Rachael more than I can say when she left for college.

36. Who was the best new person you met?

One of the assistants from summer school.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.

You can not live your life trying to impress other people or live up to their expectations. Live up to your OWN expectations.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.


Well open up your mind and see like me
Open up your plans and damn you're free
Look into your heart and you'll find love love love love

If doing this meme has shown me one thing, it's that I haven't done much to advance myself personally. I resolve to do better in 2011.


J.

3 comments:

karisma said...

I would have answered a few of those the same. Maybe I will give it a go when I get some free time!

Sayre said...

I'd say you accomplished quite a bit! Getting children raised and self-sufficient is a MAJOR accomplishment. Getting engaged to someone who accepts you and your kids is up there too. Buying an excellent car for $1000? Amazing!

You took care of business in 2010. 2011 is the year for YOU!

Brother Dave said...

Great meme. Great analysis.