Monday, July 13, 2009

My Nerves Are Fraying........

Daniel started drivers education last week. It involves 2 weeks of daily class (in a classroom) for 3 hours a day, and driving practice 3 times a week. Since he has his permit, he has been begging to "practice" every chance he gets.

I don't know if I can do this a 3rd time. It's been 3 years since Rachael did this. I had forgotten how tiring it is to drive with a new driver. You pull up to wherever you're going and you realize you're exhausted because all your muscles have been tensed the entire time. I alternate between attempting to give compliments ("You're doing fine. Good stop") and shrieking (SLOW DOWN! TOO CLOSE, TOO CLOSE! GET OVER!!). I find myself gripping the door and/or the arm rest in the middle, AND pushing my right foot down on the imaginary brake.

Actually Daniel is doing pretty well. He is cautious and careful most of the time. Of course, he DID pull out in front of a van today, and he tends to swing wide on turns. But really he is doing fine.

It's his mom who isn't doing so well. (faint smile)

Say a prayer. Say LOTS of them. We'll both need 'em.

J.

6 comments:

Sayre said...

I may let my brother do the driving insruction for ZBoy. I'm not sure I could handle it.

I think after every "practice" session, you should have a hot bath with epsom salts, a good book, and a glass of something delicious to reward yourself for staying alive.

Brother Dave said...

You shall get through this…

…and Daniel will do well.

Jodi said...

Sayre - After the extended practice session yesterday, I literally had to lie down. I was exhausted! Good idea - alcohol!

Brother Dave - I know we will. I HOPE we will....ha, ha. Thanks for the encouragement.

J.

Southern (in)Sanity said...

Hang in there. It will all be OK.

Jodi said...

Souther (in)Sanity - Oh, I know it will. It's getting better already. And he's just so darn cute, it's hard to say no to him.

J.

Farmington Hills Snow Removal said...

Loved rreading this thanks