Sunday, July 08, 2007

Sunday Snippets

This one is going to be all over the place, so hang on:
  • I know this might sound drastic, especially for me, but I am thinking of giving up Diet Coke. I heard from "Sam" when we were going out that he thinks it causes brain tumors, and a nurse practitioner I know said she read a study linking it to short term memory loss (which would explain a lot, in my case). So I'm cutting back to one a day for now, with an eye on eliminating it all together. But I do truly LOVE it.
  • Daniel and I joined a gym almost a month ago, but we didn't really get started until last week. I went yesterday by myself. I added a half mile to my walk on the treadmill, and also increased my speed and the incline. It was good. I also did my first work on a weight machine. One of the guys that works there put me on a machine that works my butt and upper legs. As a result, my legs are sooo sore this morning.

  • I'm going to see "The Lion King" again today. My parents decided that the two younger boys should see it, too, so I am taking Daniel and Aaron. Pray that Aaron can stay in his seat without needing a bathroom break!

  • My brother is going to help me tear my garage down. It's falling down as it is. We're going to rent a dumpster and take the rest down in a couple of weeks.

  • I love my new hair straightener. It's what I decided to buy myself for my birthday. Someday soon I post "before" and "after" pictures, so you can see the amazing results for yourself. I love how long my hair is getting. It makes me feel sexy. Or maybe it's the workouts and getting in shape. Or maybe it's both.

Okay, here's the biggie: I had a date last night. With Baron. (yes, I can hear your collective thoughts right now) We have been e-mailing and talking since the birthday card incident, and we decided to have dinner "no strings attached". It was very comfortable and really good. We talked about the implications of possibly "getting back together".(Believe it or not, he brought it up) .

I told him all I know for sure is I would like to see him again. And he agreed. No strings attached. I wouldn't be opposed to something more in the future, but I want to take it really slow. Last night was good. I've missed him, and he's clearly missed me. And everyone is warning both of us to be careful. Believe me, everything you're thinking I have already thought of, and more. We'll see where it goes. But I do have a big smile on my face.....

Have a Super Sunday!

J.

11 comments:

Sayre said...

You already said it, so I won't repeat it....

But it IS good to hear you smile...

Re: Aaron and the Lion King - at least you've already seen it, so you won't miss anything if he does have to go. But he might surprise you. I just make Z go before (and I mean RIGHT before) and limit what he has to drink. We're makin' it through movies now!

e.Craig Crawford said...

J - Supposedly, there are a number of health related issues involving the consumption of aspartame, the sweetener in many diet soft drinks. I used to drink at least 2 - 3 Diet Cokes a day until I switched to water.

Splenda, the brand name for sucralose, has become popular as an artificial sweetener. It has its detractors, too.

My favorite hydration drinks are water, coffee and beer, in that order. Nothing beats water.

Weight training is good for several reasons. Obviously, just toning the body makes one feel better, but increasing lean muscle mass also increases one's metabolic rate. Burn more calories even when at rest. Yes!

Another metabolism booster, believe it or not, is the consumption of a healthful breakfast. The human body has a "safety" mechanism, that triggers a "starvation" mode, telling that body to slow its metabolic rate until food is consumed. Want to lose weight? Eat breakfast.

How about some "before & "after" garage pics?

As for your "biggie", sounds like you got that covered. Good luck.   :-)

Southern (in)Sanity said...

I gave up soft drinks (except for an occasional Sprite) when I tried to get off caffeine - and after I had my kidney stone. They said soft drinks contributed to that too.

Congratulations on the gym! Good for you.

And, I won't offer any advice on the Baron topic. I'm sure you'll be careful and do what you think is right.

mitchgib said...

Say it isn't so about the Diet Coke !
I gave up sugared soda, thinking I was still allowed to have one vice !

What did I just say ?
OH, MY GOD. IT'S HAPPENING ALREADY !

Peace

yorksdevil said...

(off topic)
Thanks for the comment J. If I ever find myself in southern Indiana in need of a steak I'll be sure to let you know. :)

Unknown said...

Giving up soda is a great start...now, hmmmm....what else should you think of giving up?

I just hate to see you set yourself up like that. But I think you already know where this is going, right?

It's so easy to fall back into the old "comfortable" habits. But he's still going to be the same person who acted the way he did. Don't you think you deserve better than that?

Brother Dave said...

J - Aspartane and sucralose have no scientific studies done to support any claims about dangers of memory loss or brain cancer. Yet, anecdotal claims exist in that regard. The problem is that short-term memory loss and brain cancer can have other causes. Artificial sweeteners are ubiquitous. Why do the majority of people who use artificial sweeteners not suffer from short-term memory loss and brain cancer? hmm…

To improve short-term memory, increase your intake of essential fatty acids, and decrease saturated fats. There are other natural substances that are good for our brains. The Internet is a great venue for researching this.

w0w… your exercising will replace fat with muscle, increase your energy levels and metabolism, tone and shape you, and provide a wonderful makeover for you. Enjoy!

What an awesome challenge, a demolition project on your garage. Will a new structure eventually replace it?

Hair straightener? Is that for gay hair? ;-)

It does not surprise me that Baron brought up you two seeing each other more. When he sent you the birthday card, with its message, I wondered if he might be wanting to spend more time with you. Perhaps he feels a little better grounded when you two are around one another.

I know you will be cautious and careful.

Jay said...

I hate Diet Coke it's evil. LOL

I'm not going to comment on the "biggie". You're an adult and you know how you feel and blah blah blah. ;-)

Jodi said...

Sayre - He made it through both acts with no leaving or even asking to leave!! He was enthralled!

RWA - So far, so good on the Diet Coke withdrawal. I've only had one can today. The gym is addicting but my thighs are still sore from that machine.

York- If you've ever even in the U.S., I will buy you a steak!!

Lisa - I knew you would have a reaction like that, and believe me I've thought what you thought. I will send you an e-mail explaining myself better.

Dave - Thanks for the nutrition advice. You seem to know a lot about such topics, and believe me, I'm listening.
No, I have no plans for a new garage. I just want this eyesore taken down.

Jay - I LOVE Diet Coke. I'm just trying to kick the habit!

As for Baron, don't worry, all. It is slow going and we are both cautious, I promise. This may lead to nowhere, and if it DOES lead somewhere, it's going to be a long time before it gets there.

Thanks for all your great comments.
J.

captain corky said...

Sounds good J! Take it slow, but it does seem that were happy with Baron.

Rick Rockhill said...

OK. so first of all, did you hear me "GASP" when you said you were giving up Diet Coke? Its the pause that refreshes!!!

As far as the date with you-know-who, take it slow, enjoy it and over-communicate with each other. Say everything that is on your mind along the way.

and...have fun too.