Sunday, July 23, 2006

A musical day.....


This has been an amazing musical day for my family. The cute rocker in front is my daughter Rachael. She has been part of "Rock School" at Mom's Music, where they match up a singer, 2 or 3 guitar players, a bass player, and a drummer to form a band. They have a coach and they rehearse for 8 weeks and then they perform in a live concert. Today, Rachael's band "Ms.Understood" performed "Juicy" and "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" at 4th Street Live in downtown Louisville as part of the Rock School Concert. Rachael is the lead singer and she was awesome! Also, it was so terrific that so many people turned out to hear them....Baron was lucky enough to bring along his girls. Also my parents, my brother-in-law and my nephew Will, Rachael's dad, 5 of Rachael's girlfriends and 2 of their moms, and Rachael's boyfriend were all there to cheer her on! We counted 21 people there to see her! I was so proud of my girl....she really has a stage presence! If I knew how to add a video clip, I would put it in, too.
More pictures:
















This is Rachael and her boyfriend. They don't "date" (she's not old enough), but they talk on the phone a lot (A LOT!), they brought each other small gifts from their respective vacations, and they go to the movies with groups of kids. She seemed so grown up standing next to him, and so happy he was there! Ah, young love!
















In a second, earlier, musical moment: my son Joseph sang the Responsorial Psalm at 11:00 AM mass this morning. For those of you who aren't Catholic, this is a sung Psalm between the reading from the Old Testament and the reading from the New Testament. It has a repeating chorus, and several verses, which are sung solo. He did a fantastic job! I had to really force myself to keep my face even, I wanted to beam from ear to ear, but I promised him I wouldn't sit out in the congregation and grin at him! One of my good friends was sitting nearby and I allowed myself a look and a smile from her! It meant a lot to me to have my S.O. sitting with us in mass. Joseph's singing voice is so much deeper than his speaking voice and so smooth. I was so proud of him, and so many people came up to him after mass to compliment him, even people we don't know! It gave me chills to see him, looking so grown-up, leading our large congregation in song and prayer.

My children are so blessed with so many gifts. They do not get their musical talents from me, they come strictly from their father, but I am so proud to have been able to encourage them to develop and use their talents! It has been a proud day for this mom!

***BIG CHEESY GRIN FROM EAR TO EAR***

2 comments:

sunShine said...

That is awesome. My daughter has a beautiful voice, but is much too shy to sing in front of an audience. I wish she would she puts on great shows at home for us and out extended family, but get her in front of strangers and she just clams up.

eatmisery said...

Congrats to all of you! What a special day!