Sunday, August 10, 2008

I AM NOT FLIRTING WITH YOU!

A Letter to all men:

I have always been, since childhood, a friendly and outgoing person. I like to talk and socialize. I like to joke and kid around and laugh. But if I tease you, especially in an adult-humor-type way, I am NOT flirting with you. I promise. Let me clarify:


Flirting, to me, implies that I would...in some way...like to follow up on any of the suggestive comments being bantered about. True flirting is the prelude to touching, kissing, or some form of sexual contact. If I am truly flirting with you, then yes...I want that contact, or I am at least open to the possibility.


But making off-color jokes does not mean I want your body. Teasing you in an adult humor way does not mean I have the hots for you. It means (and let's be perfectly clear here) that I AM KIDDING. It means I am trying to MAKE YOU LAUGH.


That is all. No more.


At the moment, I am lucky enough to have a wonderful significant other. HE is the one who lights my fire. I want him, practically all the time. No matter what I say to you, or what you might think my joking comments imply, HE is the one that I want. No one else. But even if I were unattached, teasing you and kidding around with you does not mean I am interested in getting up-close and personal.


So, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but although your male ego may fool you into thinking otherwise......

I am not.

flirting.

with you.


Really.

Sorry.

J.

22 comments:

RWA said...

What?

Are you serious?!?!?!?!?

I can't believe it. I was sure you were flirting.

I think you're just saying this to back out of what you started.


:)

Blondefabulous said...

BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

OMG! Totally, right? And of course men's ego's will not let them think that we aren't flirting. According to them, if you have boobs and working women's parts, that's flirting as well.....

Poor deranged fools!

HoosierGirl5 said...

RWA - Watch it, Mister. I can tell when I'm being poked.

Blondefabulous - I'm so glad someone gets my point. Thank you.

J.

Avitable said...

It's kind of shitty and unfortunate that you have to make this obvious statement.

HoosierGirl5 said...

Adam - I totally agree. But I had had it with some people misconstruing my intentions. And I felt so much better after I wrote it. Thank you for, as a male, understanding my point.

J.

Jay said...

Adam was flirting with you with that comment. LOL

You've totally crushed some poor guy today.

Good job! ;-)

Crys said...

but are you flirting with ME? because i'm a girl and i don't think it counts...

Just Dave said...

I get it, If I thought you were serious, it would probably terrify me as well as have me question your sanity. I mean, look at my picture again. I quit chasing women 37 years ago when I got married.

e.Craig Crawford said...

And I thought we had something going. I'm just crushed. And besides that, I'm crying in my beer. What a lousy night!

HoosierGirl5 said...

Jay - If Adam was flirting with me, he disguised it well. I'm not trying to crush anyone in particular.

Crys - No, I'm not flirting with you either. I don't swing that way.

Just Dave - I'm glad we got THAT straight! Especially since we're going to meet soon! Yay!

Craig - I couldn't possibly keep up with you even if I wanted to! Sorry about your beer.

J.

AmyD said...

I totally think you were flirting with Crys. I mean, I would flirt with Crys... I mean... sometimes I DO flirt with Crys.

Brother Dave said...

I thought you were saving this post until April 1st. ;-)

Trukindog said...

Wow are you on a short leash.

Sayre said...

I guess I'm not much of a flirt, but I've known plenty of them and know they aren't serious - it's just part of who they are. Otherwise, my son's godmother would be chained to a concrete brick and hanging out at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico...

Still, it's kind of sad that people have to be TOLD.

trkndude299 said...

I've unleashed a demon!
That, or someones flirting with you.

HoosierGirl5 said...

Amy - Well, okay....but just Crys! She is so adorable!

Brother Dave - Har, har.

Trukindog - This post is especially aimed at you, you nutball! (grin)

Sayre - It just had to be said. I felt better afterwards.

T-dude - No demon. Just setting the reoord straight. And no, no one is flirting with me. Except you.

J.

trkndude299 said...

Main Entry: 1flirt Pronunciation Guide
Pronunciation: flrt
Function: verb
Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1580
intransitive verb
1 : to move erratically : FLIT
2 a : to behave amorously without serious intent b : to show superficial or casual interest or liking i.e. flirted with the idea; also : EXPERIMENT a novelist flirting with poetry
3 : to come close to reaching or experiencing something -- used with with flirting with disaster the temperature flirted with 100°
transitive verb
1 : FLICK
2 : to move in a jerky manner
synonym see TRIFLE
- flir·ta·tion \flr-t-shn\ noun
- flirt·er noun
- flirty \flr-t\ adjective

I really agree with the:
To behave amorously without serious intent.
To show superficial or casual interest.

Yeay, my memory is accurate. This is what I remember flirting to be.

And yes, I feel women wrote the instructions to flirting. That's why only women get this.

Poppy said...

You are tooooootally flirting with me!!!!!

*giggle*

I had to share this post in Google reader because I love it so much.

Miss Britt said...

Why is this so hard for people to get??

HoosierGirl5 said...

T-dude - You know I save all my flirts for you!

Poppy - Okay, you AND Crys. But you're the only ones. What does that mean, "share it on Google reader"? Something good?

Britt - I don't know. I'm not sure any man really gets it.

J.

Poppy said...

Yes, a good thing. :)

trkndude299 said...

Yup,
That's what I thought.
You were flirting all along.