Today is my 44th birthday. Here are my top 10 reasons why I would rather be 44 than 24:
1. I like who I am (most of the time). I didn't even know who I was or who I wanted to be at 24.
2. I think before I speak (at least some of the time). I was woefully unaware of what was coming out of my mouth at age 24.
3. I know what I want. I know where I want to be in 5 years. And my goals and aspirations are not based on what everyone else expects me to be.
4. I can take care of myself, and my kids. When I was 24, I didn't know how capable I could be. If my parents or my brother didn't take care of it for me, my husband did.
5. I am more empathetic and understanding of others: when I was 30, I had the wind knocked out of my "I am better than everyone else" sails. When I was 38, my cheating husband left me. By the time I was 40, I had been divorced twice. Suffice it to say that I have been humbled in a major way publicly. There is nothing like life experience to teach you that everyone has a side to them that others don't know.
6. I have and appreciate my family. At 24, I took my parents and siblings for granted. And although I knew I wanted kids, I had no idea how valuable they would be to me. They are my greatest treasures.
7. I like country music, and I don't care who doesn't like it, or why.
8. I'm okay with being different. I am an extrovert in a family of introverts. I am a blue collar girl in a white collar job. I talk, sing, blog, and twitter, whether you like it or not.
9. I am okay with being alone. When I was 24, the idea of living without a husband terrified me. While I would prefer not to be single for the rest of my life, I am certainly not terrified of the possibility.
10. Sex is better (no explanation needed or offered).
Be sure to e-mail me for the address, so you'll know where to send the cards and gifts. (cheesy smile)
Happy Tuesday, all.