Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Pro Active!

Ever since my youngest son, Aaron, was a little baby, he has always been overweight. Of coures, he's tall for his age, too, so I didn't think too much about it at first. Then, between the ages of 2 and 4, I got divorced, remarried, and divorced again and Aaron's weight really blossomed.

It hasn't stopped him from being active - he loves soccer and baseball and riding his scooter - but he is too heavy for his age. So, we went for a check up last week and our doctor had some recommendations. Aaron and I are seeing a nutritionist next week for an evaluation and a prescribed diet. He won't be "on a diet" per se, but we will do whatever the doctor orders.

The other recommendation we put into place last night, and it was by far the best. A health club in town called Total Fitness and Wellness, has a fitness class for kids! The trainer is great! There were five kids in the group, all of them overweight. They were all already using a row of step-machines when we arrived, talking and drinking water. Aaron couldn't believe it! This guy was going to let him GET ON THE MACHINES!!!

I was impressed with Matt, the trainer. He knows what he's doing and he knows how to work with kids. Aaron got to walk on the stair-stepper, they did some mini "crunches" and lifts with very small weights, and then he finished up on the treadmill. He was sweaty and tired, and happy as a little lark. It was so cute!!! I wish I had had a camera.

I am so pleased with this program. It is 3 nights a week for an hour. Only $45 a month. The trainer said since Aaron is so much younger than the other kids - they were all 9 and 10 - he is going to have him come an hour earlier and work with him one-on-one. Aaron is thrilled with having his "own gym" and said he wants to go until he is at least 13! I was really proud of him. He gave it a full effort, and drank his water during and after.


Who couldn't love this face?


J.

12 comments:

Jay said...

That's great! Sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun and a really supportive place. He'll probably do great there!

Southern (in)Sanity said...

Good for him. That sounds like a great program.

e.Craig Crawford said...

He's a darling. You are doing a very good thing for him. For the first time in modern history, children are contracting Type 2 (adult onset) diabetes in record numbers.

The exercise and diet will benefit both of you immensely. (even if your only 'slightly' overweight)   :-)

Unknown said...

That's great AND you are setting a good example for him. :)

Jodi said...

Thanks, guys. I am proud of my boy, and I think we have finally hit upon something that will really have a lasting effect. He has already asked me when we are going to the gym.

J.

PS. Craig, could you not use the word "immensely" in the same sentence as my weight? ;0
Thanks ever so much.

Brother Dave said...

J - Aaron looks like an incredibly loveable kid. He reminds me of our baby, who has been overweight most of his life.

How wonderful that Aaron is motivated, and that the Total Fitness and Wellness center has a program for the kids.

Wishing the best for you.

mitchgib said...

Ah, what a cutie.
My son went through his chubby time too, and having him more active really helped his self-esteem.
Now he is a tall, thin 18yr old !

Peace

Sayre said...

I need to find something like that for ZBoy. He's been overweight (but not hugely so) for the last three years. I noticed a couple of days ago that he's starting to grow man-boobs - not good. he does the KenPo twice a week and is really strong, but we need to get him moving more and away from the video games. A "kid" gym sounds like a great idea.

janjan0000 said...

Good for you for being so proactive with the situation and so supportive of him!
So cute that he's enjoying it. I bet he feels all special having his own personal trainer! Too cute.

Jodi said...

We're off to our second session at "HIS" gym later today. I'll let you all know how it goes.

J.

captain corky said...

I'm glad you guys have a healthy attitude about it. Good job Aaron!

Jodi said...

You all should have seen him today. He was really working hard for that trainer. I was so proud of him!!!

J.