Monday, April 16, 2007

Manic Monday Minutes.....

Hello cyber world! I have successfully survived my "Monday-after-spring-break" day. Oh, yes, several of my students had episodes today. Everyone but one of them managed to smooth themselves out and make it through the day on a positive note. The other one, a student I'll call T., well.....I would like to run him up the flagpole. And leave him there. But as Scarlet would say, "Tomorrow is another day."


Here are a few updates on the rest of my world.


1. Weekend Word Challenge.

I started it and saved it to draft on Sunday. When I finished it today, I forgot to copy and paste. So it's down two entries, on Sunday. Scroll down a bit and check it out.

2. My visit to my ex.

I know some of you may not know the stories of my sordid past, but a few years ago, after my divorce, I married a second time on the rebound. He and I separated after only 6 months, but we stayed close for a very long time. We really cared about each other, but we weren't meant to be married. He found out almost a year ago that he has lung and bone cancer and at first he was not expected to survive the year. Now he is in remission, and doing very well. I went to see him last Friday and we had a very nice visit. The cancer has made him look much older than his 57 years. What I love about visiting his 37 acres in middle Kentucky, what I always loved about going down there, is that I feel so far away from the real world. It's so peaceful and quiet and isolated. Anyway, it was a great visit. I will be going back soon.
















3. Ms. Saigon
My two oldest children, Joseph and Rachael, are in their high school's Spring Musical, Ms. Saigon.
Joseph, a junior, has a lead. He plays Thuey, a member of the Viet Cong, and "the bad guy". He gets shot at the end of the first act. Rachael, a freshman, is in the chorus and plays a Vietnamese refugee. This weekend we made the appropriate hair changes.

Above is Rachael's now-darkened hair. It used to be very light brown/dark blonde. It is now a very deep brown. I think it looks really good on her.

This is Joseph's military cut, called a "high and tight". VERY short on the sides, a little bit of short hair on top. It looks good on him.
We also spent part of yesterday experimenting with theater blood: a mixture of chocolate syrup, corn syrup, red food coloring, and Tide. Ick.


Anyway, that's all for a Monday. I am still struggling with feelings for people I care about. It's hard to move on.

Looking forward to the weekend and the infamous "Thunder Over Louisville".
J.

3 comments:

Jay said...

Hmm .. I'm pretty sure I commented earlier on here. But, it's not there!

Where did it go.

I hope it didn't end up on somebody else's blog.

They'll wander what the hell this "high and tight" thing is I'm talking about.

Anyway, I'm thinking about going beyond the high and tight and just doing the shaved head thing.

What do you think?

FindingHeart said...

I remember my years of high school theater as a great time. When you have a group of peeps on a stage, bearing their soul in front of strangers, you tend to bond with your team. I hope my kids are more athletic than I was in school, but I'm going to encourage the stage time just because of how it can positively influence you. (for the record: I was in Bye Bye Birdie, South Pacific, Cheaper by the Dozen, and Sound of Music. Har har har)

Sayre said...

Your kids look good with their new hair! The high and tight is similar to what my brother wears - I just never knew what it was called.