Tuesday, December 29, 2009
10 on Tuesday - New Year's Resolutions
Hello from Texas! Yes, I finally got away for a few days. Joseph is back at IU (he has a winter break job), Rachael has her various actitivities, Daniel is at a 2-day wrestling tournament, and Aaron is with my parents. On Thursday, all 3 younger kids will join their dad for 3 days in Indianapolis. I am in Killeen, Texas, vegging out with Steven and his parents. I was supposed to fly down here on Saturday afternoon and evening, but mechanical problems and weather conditions in Chicago caused 2 different flights to be so delayed that I could not make any connections to Dallas. So they rescheduled me for Sunday morning and I finally landed in Dallas at noon.
It has, so far, been a slice of "busy mom" heaven. I don't have to clean or cook, I've slept late, we went shopping, we've been eating all kinds of homemade food and goodies, playing cards, and watching TV! I so needed this. I think I've mentioned a few times in the last few weeks how "crazy" and frazzled I've been feeling lately. I did go to my doctor and talk about my seemingly permanent PMS symptoms. You won't believe what we discovered: the pharmacy refilled the wrong prescription about 2 months ago, so instead of taking my "mood stablizing" pill, I was actually taking a form of arthritis medicine! So it was no wonder I was feeling a little crazy - I was off my much-needed medicine for close to 2 months! I've been back on my regular stuff for about a week and I can't tell you how much better I feel. Pair that with this mini-vacation from responsibility, and I should be "good as new" for the New Year.
So this week's "10 on Tuesday" is 10 Resolutions for the New Year. I don't usually make ten resoluions, but I though I would make a list of 10 areas I would like to improve in 2010.
1. Weight loss: I weigh more than I ever have. This has to change as soon as possible.
2. Finances: I have made some good changes this past year, and I am gatting things under control. But I still have more to do.
3. Career development: I have been considering several options in this area - I could start my National Board Certification, a process that takes approximately 2 years. I could add another certification - I've always had an interest in working with Downs Syndrome children, or teaching English as a second languge children. Or I could work on getting my Elementary Counselors License. I've been told by several people at my school that I would make a good one.
4. Faith: I have drifted away from regular church attendance. Most Sundays we go, but some Sundays we do not. We need to get back to every weekend. I am feeling a need for more committment in that area.
5. Home repair: I need to renovate my bathroom, get new windows, do something about the deck, have the tree in the front yard trimmed or cut down, and basically reorganize every bedroom. If I got all that done this coming year, I would be in good shape.
6. Relationships: I would like to improve ALL my relationships, both friendly and romantic. I have definite goals for my relationship with Steven, but I won't print them here.
7. Children: I want to make significant strides in Aaron's development, I need to help Rachael on her road to college next year, and the other two just need support and encouragement. I hope all 4 will be as happy and healthy in 2010 as they are now.
8. Nutrition: This one is related to weight loss, but not necessarily. We need to be eating healthier overall. I really want to work on this for all of us.
9. Okay, this is hard. I can't come up with 10. I guess it will have to be "8 on Tuesday", instead of 10. I feel a nap coming on. This "goofing off" is hard work! (ha, ha)
Hope you are all having a good week.
Happy Early New Year!
Posted by Jodi at 12:33 PM