Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Just a Note....


This is my second week of working 40 hours at Kr**ger. I have not had a day off since last Thursday. I have made donuts, baked bread, iced cupcakes, iced angel food cakes (pictures to follow), bagged and labeled bread, filled in at random moments in the deli, and swept and mopped a very dirty floor. I am really tired of doing the same thing over and over again. If this was my fulltime job, I would truly go crazy.

Something that struck me today is that so many people don't smile back when you smile at them. Some do, but a lot don't. I don't get it. How hard is it to smile?

Another thing - there are a lot of really scary people in this world. And they all buy groceries. Of course, there are a lot of funny, kind, smiling people in the world, too....and THEY go to the grocery, too.

I'm tired. I'm going to bed. One more day, and then I have 2 whole days off.

Happy Hump Day!

J.

9 comments:

Superwoman said...

yep, the grocery store is a little crazy at times. You see all kinds!

Sayre said...

I think that working in a grocery store would be interesting for a little while, but I sure wouldn't want to make it my career. Have a happy couple of days off. Go get a pedicure. Your tired dogs will thank you!

Jay said...

Maybe if they had you work the night shift from 11 pm til 7 am you would get to see all the really freaky weird people who come out at night. Believe it or not, they're actually much more fun and friendly to be around. Even if they do get a little scary sometimes. LOL ;-)

Megan said...

I do not envy anyone who works in a service industry. Bless your heart. People can be such shits. At least you've found a few people who will smile back.

metalmom said...

I agree with Jay. The true freaks are out at night. (I used to be one of them) I like people watching so I never minded doing a job like that, but you're right, not many folks smile back any more.

Brother Dave said...

Those who do not smile, are they older, middle-aged, or young people? Or is it a mix of all ages?

Be sure to super-enjoy your two days off.

Trukindog said...

Unfortunately many times those non smilers are the employee's, Not you of course but it is a two way street.

Enjoy your days off darlin.

Poppy said...

In the city I smile when no one's expecting it, throws them completely off guard. :)

Your job sounds fantastic for me. :D Not so much for you, maybe. Thank you for doing it!! :)

Jodi said...

Superwoman - Yes you do! But at lteast I DO see a lot of people I haven't seen in awhile.

Sayre - That is exactly what I think: it's interesting for awhile, but I wouldn't want it to be my career. I would go crazy with the monotony! No pedicure, but I DID sleep in this morning with Steven.

Jay - No thanks! Getting in at 5 AM to make donuts was as close to nighttime as I want to get.

Finn - Most of our customers are very nice. But there ARE a few stinkers!

Metalmom - I can't imagine you being a late night freak!

JustDave - For the most part people do not talk down to me. Besides I am there to serve. I can suck it up for a few hours.

BrotherDave - It's a mix. I guess you never know what kind of a mood people are in when they get there. I had to run around all day yesterday, but it felt good to get stuff done. And Steven took me out for a nice dinner last night. Today is much more laid back!

T-dog - Yes, some of the ones who don't smile back ARE the employees. And I work with a couple of women who mostly scowl at the customers!
And yes, I WILL enjoy my days off.

Poppy - It's kinda fun. I'm glad it's not permanent. I would think you would smile all the time. :-)

J.